I suck at consistency, obviously. Not just with this but with SO many things in life especially as far as my goals which is really sad because it just means I don’t want them bad enough yet. I’m not giving up though. This is going to be my year! We are in the process of buying a house right now – thank the Lord! So far everything is great we are just waiting on the appraisal which shouldn’t be a problem.
There are so many benefits that this new house can bring & I can’t wait for it! It has so much more room which means easier organization though we will still be purging before the move. With 3 bedrooms it also means that I can do my workouts in the bedroom while Paul is downstairs & baby girl has her own room which means I will be more likely to do them. Plus it’s in a nice area so I can run in the evenings when it’s not freezing after Paul gets home & it’s not on the main road.
Inspired by my IDWTBAT girls I made a list of goals for this year. Us moving will affect a lot of them so it’ll still be a bit before I can really get progress going on them, but it’s going to happen!
- Cleaner house
- Family night
- Date night about once a month
- Exercise at least 3X week
- Walk 4X week
- Menu plan & meal prep
- Lose weight – even if it’s 20 lbs
- Purge a lot of stuff
- Get things organized & keep it that way
- More family time – his & mine
- Keep dogs brushed
- Get better with makeup
- Dress more fashionable – not sure if that’s the right word I want lol
- Look decent/good in leggings — yes that’s a real goal for me
- Be more consistent with everything
I know these are some serious goals but I have every intention of working on all of them & this new house gives me so much opportunity for SO much! I can’t wait. Our original closing date which was just from the date we made the offer is 2/17 but I’m hoping the appraisal & everything will get done so it can happen before then.
Here’s to goals, consistency & more updates!
I’m still alive lol It’s funny the last time I posted was also the day my life changed! I had a dr’s appointment at 1 that afternoon for a checkup at by OBGYN – no biggie. That morning around 10:45 or so my friend sends me a text message & says she had a dream I was pregnant with twins which made me crack up & then stop suddenly when I realized I was several days late (sorry to the fellas reading this post). I decide it’s probably nothing & could the fact that I’ve been working out more & maybe it had just changed my cycle some. But the longer I sit & wait the more I can’t take it so I run to Rite Aid for a test. Within 10 seconds that second line appeared & I was in shock. I absolutely could not believe it. I went to my appointment & told them about the test & they had me do another one & took some blood work. Two days later I got a call that I was definitely pregnant & my levels were awesome. While this was not planned or expected at all, we are very excited! At this point I’m 3 months ago & next week we get to find out what our precious bundle of joy is! We’re rooting for a boy, but as long as the baby is healthy we’re happy!
Due to the unexpected news a lot of things have changed. We’ve started really looking for a bigger house & figuring out some other plans. So far nothing has been what we wanted & now we’re debating buying land & going from there but we’re keeping all our options open. Also wouldn’t you know it when I actually get into running & start getting fit, I get knocked up lol Which I’ve always heard the better shape you’re in, the better chance of it happening lol I haven’t been to the gym at all these past few months thanks to the sickness. I refuse to call it morning sickness because that crap lasts all day long. Thankfully now it only happens a couple brief times a week usually where before it was an everyday almost all day thing. Now I can actually enjoy it most days.
The budget hasn’t made much progress, but I’m planning to buckle down on that more. With Paul’s income added onto it things will be much smoother but I don’t think we’re actually joining accounts until later, but it still helps knowing I have that backup. & thank goodness he’s a wonderful man & financially smart which makes him that much more attractive! Even when our accounts our combined I’m going to run a budget for bills & my part of the stuff. Whether he decides to follow along is up to him.
The house organizing hasn’t really happened yet though some decluttering process has happened. I gave a friend of mine 2 large bags full & a huge box full of stuff I’d decided didn’t belong in my house anymore. I’m not finished yet, but there’s definitely been progress made. Also both Paul & I have been working on cleaning & discussing a cleaning schedule to keep the house more maintained. Especially if we might be here for a while after the baby is born & having people come visit. My good friend Jennie tackled my kitchen & dishes – she’s a God send. I despise dishes with everything in me. Paul says he’ll do the dishes since I hate them but we’ll see how that goes. He has good intentions but I think he hates them just as much as I do.
Overall things are absolutely amazing & there’s still plenty of changes to come but I can’t complain a bit!
Well I had tried Blogger recently because I follow several blogs over there & thought I might like it. No, definitely not. I prefer WordPress by far. I’ll be copying my posts from there & posting them here & backdating them (if I can lol) then hopefully getting an update on here tonight. :)
Yes, I literally titled this post “Slackapotamus.”
Has it really been a month since I posted last? That’s just terrible. My life is nowhere near that exciting that I don’t have enough time to throw a quick update on here.
I’m still working on the bedrooms. I have finally acknowledged the fact that I have too much junk. It’s actually nice stuff but I call it junk because it serves no purpose for me except to take up space I don’t have so I need to start thinking of it as junk so I can get rid of it. I’m terribly bad at being one of those people who keep things because “I’ll use it one day.” No I won’t & I know that yet I can’t part with some of this junk. Maybe because I don’t have an overflow of extra money in case I would need said junk replaced? Who knows but I’m working on it.
Not much progress as far as the Dave Ramsey envelope system. I still like it & want to do it but just plain don’t have the self control yet. I’m a disaster! Can I just say that Christmas is extra difficult when you don’t have credit cards at your leisure & you didn’t plan ahead & have money saved like a smart person would’ve. Luckily the ones in my family that I buy for isn’t a huge # but our limit is definitely going to be brought down a bit this year because I honestly just can’t swing it & I’m not ashamed to admit I made horribly poor credit card choices in the past that I’m still paying for today. Hopefully I can get the hang of this soon though.
My boys (the dogs) are still wonderfully amazing as always even though they dirty up my couch with their filthy paws & shed like it’s going out’ve style. My baby Blaze is 5 years old today! I remember when I got him at 5 weeks how excited I was to see him & I still get excited everyday when I come home to him. He’s the biggest baby & such a fun boy. I’ll try to post some birthday pictures later.
As far as weight loss I don’t have much to update there. I pretty much fell off the exercise wagon but I need to get back on it asap especially since my blood pressure is starting to hit the high levels & it’s because of my excess weight. Not to mention I’ve got to do something about my belly pudge any way. You know the belly pudge is bad when you’re cuddling in bed at night & your guy wraps his arm across you & his hand lands on a fat roll. Sexy, right? NOT AT ALL! Luckily he’s wonderful & doesn’t care but I do & I hate it. It’s got to go!
Speaking of going can we have a moment of silence for the end of No Shave November. :( I’m not a super huge facial hair person but I’ve grown to enjoy a well groomed beard on a good looking man & I’m sad to see part of it go. He’ll still keep his beard for the most part but it won’t be as thick & I can admit I’m sad to see it go.
Thanksgiving was wonderful – so much great food & good times with family. I really enjoy it & I’m so glad all of our family gets together to spend the time with each other. It’s definitely a blessing. I hope everyone had a wonderful November & Thanksgiving now we just have to try to be prepared for Christmas! It’ll be here before we know it – yikes!
Is it just me or when you get angry/annoyed do you end up cleaning things you’ve been avoiding? Whether you’ve been avoiding it for a few days, weeks, months etc – you reach that point where you decide to take it out in the form of cleaning. While this is a bonus, I don’t like to reach that point. However, I’ve been ridiculously annoyed lately so I had already reached it. I love cooking on a gas stove but I hate cleaning it! The residue from the gas leaves such gross & terrible marks. I’m not sure if I took pictures when I first moved in but it used to be my Pawpaw’s house & let me tell you – old men don’t clean gas stoves. That thing looked horrible! The first time I super cleaned it & it looked amazing I vowed to keep it that way. Did that last? Of course not. I have every intention of keeping my house clean & organized to the fullest extent but that doesn’t mean it actually happens. But hey – I’m only human, right?
Anyway to say the least the stove had reached the point of looking pretty rough again. So add that to my super annoyed mood & you have a cleaning frenzy. I’m a fan of Spic & Span from the Dollar Tree store – yes the store where everything is simply $1. I’m cheap too – did I mention that? Honestly though I’d really like to get into using Shaklee & that’s next on my list but for now this stove needed cleaned ASAP & you can’t often beat $1 in price. So I decided this time to read the directions just for shits & giggles. Good thing I did because it turns out you’re supposed to let it set for 10 minutes & I’d never done that before. I was very pleased with the cleaning results of the Spic & Span – again, you can’t really beat it for $1. I also cleaned my kitchen counter off too because it was long overdue as well. Sadly my kitchen is probably my biggest downfall when it comes to cleaning.
So of course since everybody loves a before & after … TA DA!
Also a quick update in regards to fitness I walked 2 miles at the park down the road one evening last week & I owned it! It felt so good to keep walking & the more I walked the easier it got. Not to mention I had some music bumping in my head phones which made the motivation that much stronger. I definitely plan to keep going but the weather has been a little crappy here lately, but I think I might just walk anyway. I love the smell of fresh rain & a little rain never hurt anybody.
1. What space did you decide to organize and why? I chose the front bedroom to organize because it was absolutely the worst room in my house. When I moved in November 2011 I lost the luxury of having an out building for storage & I didn’t realize the gravity of the situation until everything was at the new house which left me not very much room. I did a large purge – I think I went from 20+ totes down to 12 but that’s still a lot of totes not to mention boxes. The front room became an absolute dumping ground for items that had no specific destination. After reading about this challenge I knew it was time to stop dragging my feet & whip it into a room where I didn’t feel the need to keep the door shut constantly.
2. What steps did you take to ensure you completed the space within the 31 day timeline? I setup a timeframe of what I would like to have accomplished each week instead of each day that way I didn’t feel like a failure if I had a lazy day or 2 during that week, as long as things still got accomplished by the end of the week.
3. What was the hardest part of the challenge for you and how did you overcome it? Finding the motivation to actually tackle the room initially was a bit of a challenge. I’m a great planner & list maker but when it comes to actions I can be quite the procrastinator. Definitely something I need to work on! It helped having the link-up’s listed because I felt accountable to have some progress to show for myself. After getting started though, my momentum began to build & now I’m ready to start purging & organizing the rest of my house. I may have created a monster, but I think I like it!
4. What did you do with the “stuff” you were able to purge out of your newly organized space? There was quite a bit of trash (more than I’d like to admit) of stuff that just needed sorted through & tossed that I never took the time to do. It felt good to finally get rid of junk that was just taking up space. There was also a lot of clothes, toys, etc that were just stored in there that basically I no longer have a need for. Instead of tossing them though I took them to a friend’s house to let her sort through & pass on what she didn’t want. There was also the bunk bed that a friend took & I was more than happy to get rid of as it was just sitting & collecting dust. I was happy to give away much more than I threw away :)
5. Tell me one of your proudest moments during this challenge? Let there be carpet! I was very happy & felt that sense of accomplishment when I could see not just carpet but several feet of carpet! Stuff had been strewn about that room in such a mess it should have been embarrassing but it honestly served as great motivation to get that room in order & now I never want it to look that way again.
6. Explain any organizing “tools” you used to help you create additional space and to establish some limits and boundaries? I had some empty totes (which will be my tools) that I’d been storing in that room as I never throw totes out because I can always find something to use them for later or when I do a purge of clothes or other items it’s convenient to take the items to the next destination in totes. However there was plenty of work those totes could be doing yet they were just setting there empty in the floor. I think I ended up using 2 or 3 of them in the black stand to corral some of the randomness of that stand. It not only organized some items on the stand but it also freed up quite a bit of floor space that the empty totes were taking up which gave me even more carpet!
7. What is ONE piece of organizing advice you’ve learned on this journey that you could encourage someone else with? I’ve read it before & realized the pure geniousness of it but never put it into play but I will now. Set up boundaries for yourself! Choose a tote, basket, etc for certain things that will be your limit of what you keep. Or choose it to be a holding area for a certain time frame of items that you aren’t sure of & if it’s not used by that deadline – get it out of your house asap! My problem is keeping items until “one day” or waiting to use them “some day” & then they just end up taking up space not being used & sitting in an empty room when someone else could be putting them to use. Just because it’s still in good condition doesn’t mean I have to hang onto it. I won’t throw it out, but I’ll definitely be passing along more items quicker than I used to.
I’m obviously still not done – but I need to sell the mattress before I can get it out of there & my out building will hopefully be built sometime early spring which will also store some other items from this room. I’m really excited to continue working on it & the rest of the house & can’t wait to do even more before & afters. Wish me luck!
I’m linking up with Org Junkie!
I had taken these Before pictures the other day & finally got around to posting them. I agree with others who have posted that they think putting it all out there makes them more accountable. Plus who doesn’t like to receive feedback/suggestions that could help you with your process? I know for myself I will take any & all suggestions/recommendations.
The first picture is a view of the floor facing the closet towards the right. The stack closest to my right is a tote of cookbooks that I’ll be keeping plus the printer & items on top of it. The other boxes are all to go boxes except the one that says “cool” on it. Those are VHS tapes & it says “cool” because I wanted to make sure to keep them in a cool place when I moved. I realize now as I’m explaining it, that I’ve not been in that box since I moved in Nov 2011 which may be a sign that I need to go through it & purge some of those VHS’s – thanks guys!
This is a view facing the closet – what a disaster the floor is! This room has entirely been my dumping ground since I don’t have an out building but that is not acceptable!
This is a view towards a back corner – the green box is my bow case so that will be staying but could be stored better. The mattresses are both for sale so hopefully they’ll be gone soon.
Sadly – this is the most organized area of the room. The black organizer stand is a big help but not all totes fit there. It does help in keeping a lot of stuff off of the floor though. The grey & brown tote in front of the stand are both empty & are just in there to help me organize so that doesn’t count as clutter, right?
Since I’m such a procrastinator I already have a progress/update part 1 post to put on here – better late than never :)